Friday, May 15, 2015

My Thoughts On Chapter 2 Of The Purpose Driven Life

The Purpose Driven Book
Chapter Two: You Are Not An Accident


So, far the first two chapters have me hooked. I loved the beginning of this one just as much as the first one. Simple and to the point.

You Are Not An Accident.

Sometimes, after a day filled with things gone wrong it really helps to hear those words or in this case read them. I know from my own personal experience there were many times in my past were I felt like I must have accidentally landed on earth because seriously, I couldn't seem to get anything right. 
I was always reassured by my parents that no I was not an accident. God wanted me here so He placed me here.

One of my favorite thoughts on this chapter is were it talks about just how God took the time to purposefully create us. I used to complain all the time to my mom that my hair was such a normal shade of brown. Nothing special. She once gave me a wonderful example that changed my opinion about myself forever. She said " Imagine God as the ultimate painter. He's painting this amazing masterpiece...you. He choose your eye color, skin tone, height, face shape, lip shape and color, hair color and whether it would be wavy or straight. He choose each of those things and He's made this masterpiece, a one of a kind. Now you come along and take a look at it and say..."Hmm, my hair color is to plain. Let me spice it up a bit with some highlights. My eye color doesn't go with my skin tone. Let me get some colored contacts. And so on. You've taken the brush out of His hand and started fixing something that didn't need fixing. Why? You were made perfect from the start."

I love the fact that this book also brought up a similar thought. You aren't an accident, you were created because He wanted you to be. I loved one particular sentence- He custom-made your body just the way he wanted it. (PDL pg.22) Can you imagine someone, and not just anybody but GOD, taking the time to create every single detail about you? From your physical appearance to your personality, to your way of thinking? How amazing is that!

Another thought that made me smile and be filled with joy was- God left no detail to chance. He planned it all for his purpose. (PDL pg.23) This brought about such joy for me. I felt good to know that HE knows everything in advance. He planned each of my steps. He must have wanted to be really sure that His purpose for my life would be fulfilled. Of course, it all depends if I allow it to, allow His purpose to take place.

When I read that God's purpose for creating me was His love. Wow. He must really love me. 

My all time favorite part of this chapter was the poem by Russell Kelfer. I loved it. It brought tears to my eyes. I went ahead and looked it up online and pasted it on here. It is absolutely beautiful and there is so much truth in the simple and straightforward way it's written.

You are who you are for a reason.
You're part of an intricate plan.
You're a precious and perfect unique design,
Called God's special woman or man.

You look like you look for a reason.
Our God made no mistake.
He knit you together within the womb,
You're just what he wanted to make.

The parents you had were the ones he chose,
And no matter how you may feel,
They were custom designed with God's plan in mind,
And they bear the Master's seal.

No, that trauma you faced was not easy.
And God wept that it hurt you so;
But it was allowed to shape your heart 
So that into his likeness you'd grow.

You are who you are for a reason,
You've been formed by the Master's rod.
You are who you are, beloved,
Because there is a God!

Alright. I'll stop here with my thoughts on this chapter. I think the poem says so much more than I ever could. Actually I think it sums up this chapter perfectly.

Question To Consider: I know that God uniquely created me. What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?

I looked at my answer to this question when I was around 12-14 and almost cried. There was so much pain in my answer. I think of my answer now as a mother and wife. Some of those things I listed before have since changed or simply been dealt with. Yet, in this season that I am in pregnant with our second child and a mother to an almost 10 month old...I still struggle with my weight problem. It doesn't bother me as much and doesn't make me feel insecure anymore. I just struggle with accepting that as a pregnant woman I will be a bit heavier. Can't help it I'm growing a child. 
I also struggle with the fact that I am a very sensitive type of person. I take everything to heart. I wish I could be just a tad bit more "tough" and let things "bounce of me". But I can't. God placed in me a heart that is very sensitive, a sensitive spirit if you will. 
I'll have to work on accepting that.

What about you? Let me know your answer in a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment